Thursday, February 07, 2008

Yes We Can



Just in case this anyone has managed to live the last two weeks without seeing this video...here it is!

I love it, even though it is an emotional sucker-punch. Ben pointed out a post on frontal cortex, one of the neuroscience blogs he reads, that mentions the manipulative aspect of this video. The author shared my perspective that even though the music paired with Obama's speech is emotionally manipulative and even though I recognize this fact at the moment I'm being manipulated by it, the emotional reaction raised in us by music is what great speech-writers are trying to evoke with the cadence of their writing anyway, and the video works so well because the music is strengthening this reaction...rather than creating it the way a montage sequence does.


P.S. The Apple commercials for the MacBook Air feature a cute song by Yael Naim, a super-cute Israeli/Frenchie girl, who is also in the Yes We Can video. Ben...any idea what she's saying in this video? Also, it's a little irritating that two of my favorite new artists were introduced to me by Apple commercials.

3 comments:

Anne Marie said...

footnote: the first Ben mentioned is Ben H, the second Ben mentioned is Ben I.

bkessler said...

Yeah - apple commercial/new music that I end up loving makes me feel really banal and unoriginal. But the music is so good!!

I think that speech is, as you rightly noted, incredibly lofty and ambitious, and who knows, may someday be stacked up next to the Gettysburg addresses and 'I have a dreams'. But how refreshing is it to get to listen to someone who can elocute! Ah bliss...

Unknown said...

She's saying

"Ken, Anachnu yakolim."

ie. "Yes we can" in Hebrew. Now you can say it too all of your friends and sound cool.