Thursday, August 31, 2006

Faust

I just finished my first Faust reading, and it is crazy. The prologue in Heaven is like the beginning of Job. Mephistopheles is a poodle who follows Faust home one night. Every once in a while a chorus of spirits (Good spirits? Bad spirits? Who knows!) is heard offstage singing songs giving Faust advice and reflecting on the state of Earth. It's incredibly strange. Oh well. Anyway, here is a picture of the guy who the character of Faust was based on:



Today in math the following problem was posed to me:
If Stan is on the shore watching a boat go by to the right at the speed of light, c, and Wendy is running at 1/2c on the boat aksi to the right (relative to Stan), and she is carrying a flashlight which she switches on- what happens? Does she outrun the light from her flashlight?

Jaime let people know that I was posting again and then wrote: "Like I care", or some other such phrase underneath it. Puzzling, Jaime, because I know you do care. Also, I want to apologize for spelling coeur incorrectly before. My bad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My "not that I care" was there to off set my overzealous intro. It's a ying yang thing. Gotta keep the universe in balance and all that.

Unknown said...

I would make them first prove to me that the boat could go the speed of light and address any moral obligations for owning said boat, before I gave an answer...

I am also immensly grateful that I didn't go to your school...