Wednesday, August 30, 2006

SENIOR!!!


I was talking to Grandma Callahan this weekend, and she seemed shocked that I am already a senior, so I thought I would just make an announcement. I am a senior. I will (insha'Allah) graduate on May 19th, 2007 in sunny Santa Fe. As I am discovering, there are factors that serve to complicate my enjoyment of senior year. They are as follows:

1. St. John's is so small that, despite being a Febbie and transfering to Santa Fe, now that I've been here four years I know some people really well...and know that I don't want to have classes with them. But I do have classes with them.
2. I have to find an advisor and write a senior essay by February 10th. This is a big deal. Have I made any progress even remotely in the realm of senior essay? Ummm...No.
3. When I graduate, I have to do something else.

All this aside, the first three days of class have been very exciting. In language, we are reading Flaubert's Un Couer Simple and talking about language, something I am always up for. In science we are finishing up our Faraday stuff with an experiment about the electrical properties of molecules and are then moving on to Thomson's experiments with the deflection of cathode rays (now I understand how tvs work). In seminar we just finished with War and Peace and are starting Goethe's Faust tomorrow.

The only class I'm not sure about is math. My math class is headed up by my tutor, Mr. Franks. He's a talker, and has (in our one meeting, granted) totally dominated the discussion. Some students really like this kind of tutor, but I need to work through the math (which this year is Einstein) step by step in an active way. Math tutorial needs to include a way to work through my questions, because I never come to class understanding an argument all the way through.

French sentence of the day: Elle avait eu, comme une autre, son histoire d'amour.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Anne! I am so glad you're posting again even though I don't know what your French sentence says.

Unknown said...

You're back in school, Anne? I don't go back until the 20th of Sept. But I'm totally anxious about starting Grad School right now!