Tuesday, November 21, 2006

November Angst

I really don't like the month of November. What is it's purpose? How do I identify it? I identify it with Thanksgiving and it's only purpose is Thanksgiving. The rest of the month is unremarkable and disorienting. I'm thinking about Christmas but it's clearly not the Christmas season yet. I'm thinking about the end of the semester but I will have four papers to write before I go to Maine in December. Also, November is the sad month between fall and winter...in New Mexico we're caught in a weird kind of limbo. Every day it is sunny and between 50 and 60 degrees. It sounds like a nice autumnal kind of experience, but it's not, because it's clearly time for winter! I'm so confused!

Also, Ben and I are going to Ojai for Thanksgiving. Grandma and Grandpa Callahan are leaving for Brazil next week just in case anyone was wondering...thought of this because I keep meaning to visit Uncle George when I go to California but never do. Anyway, we're going to Ojai and I'm trying to clean up the apartment so that it is wonderful to come home to. The thing is (and I have doubts as to whether anyone who witnessed me growing up will believe this) the apartment is tidy. We do a pretty thorough cleaning once a week and tidy up every day. So why all of a sudden do I feel like it is NOT clean and NEVER will be? I think part of this has to do with spiders. There are lots of spiders in Santa Fe, and every time I do a corner cleaning or lift up something and find a spider (or two-agggh!) I feel like that corner just isn't clean and won't be until I get over having found a spider there. The second reason my apartment doesn't feel clean is probably because I've been here for a while and so now I know where all of the gross stuff accumulates. Finally, there's Birdie. He's cute, but very messy. So, I'm spending all of my time today that I'm not spending in class trying to make the apartment feel clean.

The final factor contributing to my November angst is Michael Richards' outburst.

Factors helping to balance out the angst are the Democrats' victories and Ohio State's performance last weekend.

2 comments:

Me said...

I have this really untidy habit of leaving spiders where they are because I think they're doing important work eating bugs. So if you come over to my house and see a spider in the corner, you can be sure I've already seen it and have given it my blessing. It's a sort of deliberate filthiness on my part, I guess. Of course, if they decide they are the travelling kind of spider and I spot them moving across the floor or something, it's over for them.

Did you hear Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me this weekend and Roy Blount Jr.'s story about buying the lizard to turn loose in his apartment to eat his roaches except it was the wrong kind of lizard? Pretty funny . . . in that you had to be there sort of way . . .

Anne Marie said...

I'm saving Wait Wait for ipod for the trip to California. Will laugh with you when I hear it.