Friday, December 01, 2006

Cider VS. Juice

Apple cider on the left. Apple juice on the right.



Ben and I were mulling some hot apple cider today when I began to mull (ha!) over a discussion Mr. Tisher and Ms. Sidor had recounted to me one late night in Albuquerque at Frontier, between seeing Borat at the big theatre and arguing about the best course of action in a zombie-crisis/nuclear crisis/any crisis on the drive back up to Santa Fe. They (who are one of the few cute St. John's couples) were arguing about the difference between apple cider and apple juice. Mr. Tisher...who is from NORTHERN CALIFORNIA says there is no difference between apple juice and apple cider. Ms. Sidor...who is from the MIDWEST (albeit from Michigan- but I think she's from Grand Rapids) says that cider is processed differently and has a distinct taste. I, of couse, sided with Ms. Sidor, because she was right, and now I would like to prove it by referring to the wikipedia page about apple cider, which I just consulted. In Mr. Tisher's defense, the page does say that, "It has been suggested that in the United States of America the differences between apple juice and cider are not legally well established." Still, the first line of the Wikipedia article says, "Apple cider is the name for a non-alcoholic beverage produced from apples by a process of pressing, especially in the United States and parts of Canada. It is more sour and cloudy than conventional apple juice, retaining the tart flavor of the apple pulp which is lost in conventional fruit juice production." And as I learned on Wait, Wait...in a very entertaining interview with the creator of Wikipedia, it must be true if I read it on Wikipedia. I also learned that up to 30% of Wikipedia's articiles may be about Japanese pop culture items like manga, anime, and video games. Cool.

7 comments:

Me said...

A very respectful DUH to Mr. Tisher.

But I still don't trust Wikipedia.

Mandy said...

There are people who really hate Wikipedia, and it's their life's mission to bring it down. I think that's just sad.

But I love apple cider.

bkessler said...

For some reason New England apple cider is always particularly cidery. I don't know what it is - maybe it's not pasteurized or something? Yeah Tisher - DUH!

Me said...

How would one "bring down" Wikipedia?

Bradford said...

No! Wikipedia can't be brought down! How do you think I research some of the pseudo-science that is on the show? W

Anne Marie said...

Wow, I think this is the most comments I've ever had on a single post. Was it my discussion of cider or my reliance on Wikipedia that caused such a stir?

Tisher said...

Whenever I had asked what the difference between apple juice and cider was, I had always been told that there was merely a higher pulp content. To my mind this meant that "country-style" orange juice would now have to be called orange cider. The Wikipedia article also states that apple cider comes from less sugary, early harvest apples which makes me more willing to accept the distinction.

I love that "It has been suggested" in the article. Wikipedia would never be so gauche as to make this claim itself.