Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Update

I hate USC. It is a horrible place where horrible people go to be in a Legally Blonde-ish, sorority-obsessed, ANTI-educational environment. At least for undergraduates. Anyway, psychology is not at all what I'd imagined, but is a kind of sad, underfunded, disrespected science, overshadowed by neuroscience. I am still really interested in it, but when I started to imagine my life in twenty years, became depressed by the thought of writing grant-proposals, teaching undergraduates, or being responsible for other people's mental health. Yikes.

Soooooo, I'm going to try to be a doctor and be responsible for people's lives instead. I have been really put off by the idea of giving all of my 20s to medical school and internship and residency, but what the heck- I can make it work! Besides, I really don't do well with unstructured time. Being un-busy is so not fun.

So I have to apply to post-bacc programs, which all take one year and which I would start next summer, so that I can then apply to medical school after that. It's going to be a long haul. I'm applying to Bennington (VT), Bryn Mawr (outside Philly), Goucher, Johns Hopkins (Baltimore), and Scripps (suburban L.A.) All of these programs are competitive, so I may very well not be accepted by any of them, in which case I begin applying to second-choice schools.

Applying for things is not fun.

Meanwhile, I am finishing this semester at USC, keeping my eyes open for a full-time job in L.A. for the new year, and tutoring eight elementary school and middle school students.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I love the new look. I'm jealous, actually.

bkessler said...

Hurrah for updates!

I hear that there are a lot of really good medical programs in Cols... : )

Me said...

If you move to Columbus right when we move to California I will be royally pissed.

Jennifer Elizabeth said...

Yey, you know you're coming back to Baltimore!!

Miss Texan said...

Anne! I just stumbled upon your blog.. what fun!
I have a friend in the Teacher Corps who is leaving the program next year to do the post-bac program at Goucher. So, if you want to talk to someone who's been through the app process and has visited, let me know!
-Eleanor