Saturday, February 17, 2007

Invite

I am, of course, finished with senior essay and am now enjoying...not a well-deserved decrease in work, but a bizarrely unreasonable quantity of work: 60-pg. Darwin readings (which are AWESOME, everyone should read Darwin), 50-pg. Faulkner readings (which are also AWESOME), and then 55-pg. Marx readings for seminar. A secret: 100 pages of Darwin goes by twice as fast as 50 pages of Marx= Marx is four times as boring as Darwin. Maybe more, really. I do not understand how such boring, Hegel-like writing inspired people to inspire the masses. The best part about my Marx seminars has been watching people argue about capitalism and communism. The uber-capitalist in my class, who always seemed perfectly nice before, is actually evil...something I only realized because of his cruel, heartless, arguments in favor of increased production. Scary. On the other side is this crazy girl who thinks that an argument for communism consists in giving examples of people who have been hurt real-bad by capitalism (like we don't all (except for the crazy capitalist) feel bad for the factory workers!) and then asks questions like, "wouldn't it just be so much better if (insert haughty, superior tone, ironically, here) we all just rose to a state of species-being and really partook in our community and weren't estranged from our products anymore?" And then people are like, "You know, Ms. Greer lived in a commune in India for like, thirty years, and so it must work." And then the next day in class, Ms. Greer, my language tutor is like, "Ummm...yeah it worked pretty well because we all gave up our ideals to survive and turned a blind eye to the lady in the dairy who was stealing milk from the community so that her baby wouldn't be malnurished." So. Marx. Not so impressed, I have to say.

Any-whooo. Santa Fe.



How GREAT IS IT? I just wanted to extend one final invite to all of ya'll for my graduation, which is on May 19th. Dad is going to be in Santa Fe in a house (a nice house) from May 17th-22nd. So far I have commitments from Ben K, Mandy, and Brad. Anyone else interested? I know Ben I and Jaime are interested, but Ben's quarter doesn't end until an uncivilized date sometime in June, so they are excused. Any and all are welcome. I guarantee really good food, a silly speech by the president of St. John's, a great game of senior-staff softball, a view of my receipt of a diploma, and any extent of relaxing/invigorating recreational activities.

1 comment:

Jennifer Elizabeth said...

I will try! Looking at flights now...can't make a commitment until Pavel is home.