Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Bad odds

Yesterday Ben and I went out to Claremont to see Scripps, where I have applied to do my pre-med stuff. After four long months at USC, I wasn't expecting much, but the Claremont colleges are really in a beautiful spot, and Scripps in particular is quiet, well-manicured, and architecturally consistent, which is, sadly, what I've been craving. Now I know what those college guides mean when they say "dorms like palaces". Why is St. John's SO poor?
Today, I had my stats exam at eight. I absolutely rushed through it so that I could leave as soon as possible for Scripps, because it's at least 45 minutes away (which in L.A., sadly can mean 1 1/2 hours away) and my interview was at eleven. I made it, happily, with plenty of time to spare. Overall, I think the interview went well, but I have learned that there are 150 applicants for 14 places, so I'm trying valiantly not to get my hopes up. Sadly, the last couple of days have really convinced me that this program is perfect for me. I like the people I met, I love that the program is small but integrated into the college, and I LOVE LOVE that it is supportive rather than competitive. They seemed interested in St. John's, and although they haven't had any St. John's students there, they have had students from St. Thomas Aquinas, which is about five minutes away from Ben's house in Ojai. They said that the Aquinas students have tended to be immature, sheltered, Catholic boys, which I clearly am not, so I hope that goes in my favor. Anyway, fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anne, I doubt they interview all 140 applicants for the program, so I would feel good about even getting to that step. Besides, you're brilliant a great student, and a lovely person. Be confident!

Mandy said...

Yay go Anne!!!

You should explore the sheet music of some library in LA... :)