Saturday, December 08, 2007

Enchanted. Really!

This is embarrassing, but I talked Ben into seeing Enchanted last night in Ventura. We really wanted to see Atonement or Juno, but they're only playing in L.A. and we've been spending weekends in Ojai. So we were looking at rottentomatoes.com and the only movie other than No Country for Old Men (which we've seen and is definitely worth seeing-filmed in the backyard of Santa Fe, by the way) that had good reviews was Enchanted, which I'd always sort of hoped would be good. It was hilarious and sweet! The premise is that a cartoon amalgamation-of-all-Disney-princesses-ever princess finds her true love and goes to the castle to be married and live happily ever after, when the prince's wicked stepmother tricks her into looking down a wishing well.

The princess, Giselle, falls down the well and ends up in a New York sewer, then promptly climbs out of the sewer and wanders around the city asking where the palace is, etc. This movie comes off well because the real-life princess, Amy Adams, plays her part sooooooooooooo sincerely that she's almost believable when she meets Patrick Dempsey, a divorced divorce lawyer, and lectures him about true love. The songs are also pretty wonderful, but the best part is the gently ironic tone of the entire movie, which makes countless amusing references to Disney cartoons past. Anyway, if you haven't seen this movie, which I kind of assume you haven't, I highly recommend it. And if you don't trust me, read someone else's review, because I honestly can't imagine someone sitting through this without laughing out loud.

1 comment:

Me said...

I've seen trailers for this and thought I might actually enjoy it--and then I felt ashamed. I'm glad I can put those feelings of self-loathing aside now.