Sunday, October 29, 2006

Adventures!

I've been making plans for next year, and am very excited about the following two applications I'm working on:

1) I'm applying to the JET Programme, which would allow me to spend another wonderful year in Japan, this time trying to cook food for myself instead of relying on Okasan for everything, and still ineptly trying to learn the language and understand this incredibly fascinating, apparently contradictory culture. Kansai, here I come!

2) Yay! Midwives! I'm almost ready to turn in my application for a two-year apprenticeship in beautiful, crazy, Taos, New Mexico. Sometime this week I'll send in my application (which includes three recs but no transcript-isn't that great?!) and then schedule a three-day interview, at which time I'll be expected to jump right in and pretend to be a student. This interview is important because it will allow me to get a better idea of what it would be like to be a student with them, and (more importantly) will give them the chance to see if we all get along. I think getting along is really important for a group of eight women who spend almost all of their time together. I'm pretty excited about it because the three women I've met so far seem really confident, positive, and incredibly intelligent. And grounded. Man, do I want to be grounded.

Taos:




The only real downside of this situation is the location, which is a little more than an hour north of Santa Fe. Although I would be able to go down to St. John's occasionally, for the most part I would be pretty removed from it and all the other ammenities of Santa Fe.

Both of these options are incredibly exciting, but I'm secretly (not so secret now, though!) hoping I get the apprenticeship with the midwives.
Meanwhile, I'm supposed to be writing an essay about translating French.

No comments: