Monday, October 23, 2006

A Bad Afternoon

I turned in my seminar essay today after an epic Monday morning long lab class. No one was awake because everyone had spent the last 24+ hours working on their essays. So, after lunch I went home and took a nap, but it wasn't even a satisfying nap...I woke up and felt groggy and disoriented. Then I remembered that Netflix had warned me my credit card is about to expire, so I made the second mistake of the afternoon: trying to talk to someone who could help me figure out why my credit card wasn't automatically being renewed.

The number on the back of the card offered the typically non-relevant options...and had no option for talking to an operator or for questions regarding credit card renewal. This I could forgive them for. So I went online and searched both the Bank of America and VISA websites for information relating to my question. Nada. So...I called my branch, but the phone number listed for that branch is actually for the motor branch right next door. The lady I talked to there said I should come in to the main branch and talk to a customer service person about my card, "Just to make sure there is no funny business." So, I talked Ben into coming along and we went onto a very busy road to the bank. I talked to a customer service lady there and the first thing she said-cutting me off-was that the bank cannot handle anything relating to credit cards and that I have to call the number on the back of the card and then press -0-.

There was NO ZERO OPTION ON THE 800 # MENU!!!!

So, I am now waiting on hold, having pressed the magical 0 button...and have been on hold for over half an hour. The moral of the story is not to do business with organizations which provide you with NO WAY to talk to an actual person. The second moral is that Bank of America and VISA have a VERY BAD system set up here. There is not nearly enough information online about credit cards, and there is no clearly defined way to access the assistance I need. Both VISA and Bank of America have totally copped out by saying, "Call the number on the back of the card." News flash: the number on the back of the card is not helpful! Anyway...just had a little bit of pent up bank-rage I needed to get off my chest. Sorry. Plus, this muzak is REALLY getting on my nerves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wrote a really long comment to this post, but I wasn't signed in under the correct account, so I lost the comment, and was too lazy to try and re-type it, 'cause you know it's never as good as the first time. I hate that.

So, understand that there *was* a very sympathetic, sharing experiences comment coming your way.

I told you my roomies each got a kitten, right? I love having them around. Kittens are *awesome,* and they're not even really kittens anymore.

Anonymous said...

Jibbles!